Thursday, December 3, 2009

Jessica Ennis plans to miss 2010 Commonwealth Games in Delhi

Britain's world champion heptathlete, Jessica Ennis, plans to miss next year's Commonwealth Games and focus instead on the World Indoor Championships and European Championships. The 23-year-old, who is on the short list for the BBC Sports Personality of the Year award, says competing in Delhi in October would be disruptive as she prepares to defend the world title she won in Berlin this year in Daegu, South Korea in 2011.

"The timing of the Commonwealth Games is not great," she said. "October is when I start my winter training so I'd have to push everything along, and it wouldn't be good for doing an indoor season the following year, which I need to prepare well for the next world championships."

Instead, Ennis is looking forward to the world indoors in Doha in March. She missed the last indoor season after a fractured ankle ruled her out of the 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing.

She said: "After missing out on the indoor season last year – I really felt like I lost a whole year – I just want to make the most of it now and take all of the opportunities that come my way. I enjoy the indoor season, it's good to break up the winter training, and it gives you a good indication of how that's going."

After posting a personal best of 6,731 points in Berlin, Ennis is focused on Denise Lewis's British record, of 6,831.

"It's going to come down to improving my second day, mainly," she said. "Working on the long jump and making improvements to the shot and the javelin."

This year's BBC Sports Personality ceremony will take place in Ennis's home town, Sheffield.

"It's surreal to be nominated having watched the show every year," she said. "I went to the ceremony in 2007 in Birmingham and it's a really nice occasion. I remember seeing everyone … and seeing everything they'd achieved that year and it gives you goose pimples and a shiver down your spine. You hope and you wish that one day you're a part of it."

No comments:

 


back to top