Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Scotland lift Millar ban ahead of Delhi 2010

Cyclist free to make Commonwealth Games team after doping ban.
Cyclist David Millar will be allowed to compete for Scotland in next year’s Commonwealth Games after winning his appeal against a lifetime ban. The 32-year old was banned for two years by British Cycling after admitting to using EPO but Commonwealth Games Scotland imposed a lifetime ban.
The cyclist lodged an appeal with CGS and has now had his ban lifted with chief executive Jon Doig citing Millar’s anti-doping campaigning as a major reason for the decision. Millar has offered advice on anti-doping measures to British and world cycling bodies as well as to UK Sport.

"The CGS board felt that since his return to cycling David has become an active campaigner and educator about doping in sport and has gone to great lengths to rehabilitate himself and share his experiences with others in an attempt to promote the anti-doping message,” Doig said when announcing the decision.

"David has now been cleared to compete for Scotland in Delhi subject to achieving the necessary performance selection standards.”

It is likely that Millar will meet the selection standards without any problems and is now in line to compete in several events at the Delhi games. The road racer, who has won three stages at the Tour de France, expressed his relief at the decision to allow him to be selected.

"I am absolutely delighted with the decision,” he said

"It would be an honour to race for Scotland at the Commonwealth Games in Delhi and to give something back to the country that has given me so much. I am proud to be a Scot and feel that I have been supported incredibly through the bad times as well as the good by Scotland.

"I made mistakes as a younger athlete in a dirty sport, and I will have to live with those mistakes for the rest of my life, but I have changed and I know I bring something beneficial to not only cycling, but also sport as a whole.

"I have been so pro-active in my fight against doping because I believe I can make a difference and I also believe that the mistakes I made as an athlete were fully preventable.If the example I now give and education I provide can prevent a younger version of me from making the same mistakes I made, then I could not ask for more."

Though now almost certain to be part of the Scottish team that will travel to India, the door is still closed on a place at the next Olympics. The British Olympic Association take a harder stance against doping and will not consider Millar for London 2012.

No comments:

 


back to top