Monday, December 21, 2009

These will be the best Commonwealth Games: Gill

The challenge is acknowledged but is to be met with fire. The task, as Union Sports Minister M.S. Gill would like you to believe, is gigantic but India will be ready to host the Commonwealth Games next year.

As he takes stock of time spent in sports, he emphasises that things have changed for the better. And promises things will shape up to the benefit of India’s sports fraternity.

The agenda, Mr. Gill insists, is “continuing”. The focus, to conduct the Commonwealth Games, is in place. “I was fortunate to get a chance by accident.” He is the fifth sports minister since 2003 when India was allotted the Commonwealth Games.

“I’m deeply interested in the job. I have taken the job so I am responsible. I won’t walk away from the challenge. Decisions have been taken and I am to be ready in time. I am not to question the past. We all want to bring India a good name. I want to do everything humanly possible.”

Having promised and taken some decisions to lift the morale and stature of Indian sportsmen, Mr. Gill confesses much remains to be done. “Indian sportsmen deserve a better deal. A lot more expenditure is needed to give them the best. Sport builds better leadership, better citizens and ensures general improvement of the people,” he said.
Best way

So what is the best way to improve the lot of Indian sportsmen. Mr. Gill was candid. “The Indian education system is hostile towards sports. It is a little strong but perhaps not wrong to say. The system is marks-based and the mind is frightened of the future. I don’t believe the marking is accurate.”

On the vexed issue of doping, Mr. Gill assured firm steps. “We are doing our best to keep a check. We will continue frequent, surprise tests to catch the culprits and punish them. As an Indian I too want my nation to win 50 medals in the Olympics but then even if I have to win one medal I want to win it with honour. To do that, we must have credible people. We are working towards that goal.”

Did he honestly believe staging the Commonwealth Games will mean a better future for Indian sports? “It is not the occasion for me as a minister to speak on what you are really asking. We have taken some steps.

“There is an increase in allowances to players. We have been training well for the Games. So, it is not just about conduct. We are focussing on preparing to win medals too. Coaching used to get so little. Not anymore. We are also spending a lot on foreign coaches. I have been pushing for the equipment.”

On the role of sports federations and the growing allegations of corruption and nepotism, Mr. Gill maintained, “The federations are manifestations of democracy. My objective is to correct them. They are not unanswerable.”

Mr. Gill also had a warm message to the workers engaged in creating the infrastructure for the Commonwealth Games. “They are the real people, the builders of India. I want to tell them that I have total confidence in them. I wish them a very happy new year. And they better wish me an early completion of all the stadiums.”

Mr. Gill concluded with a promise. “The 10,000 athletes, 400 officials will get a deserving welcome. These will be the best of all the Commonwealth Games”.

No comments:

 


back to top