Monday, January 4, 2010

CWG will be really tough this time around

Two gold medals in the yearend tournament, especially when the body is worn out due to non-stop competitions, is no mean achievement. Still, ace rifle shooter Gagan Narang dug into his reserves to bag an individual and a team gold at the Asian Air Gun Championship at Doha in December.

The world record holder in 10m air rifle and winner of many World Cup medals was in Delhi on his way back to Pune for the national camp, when HT caught up with him.

Excerpts

Q: With the Commonwealth Games round the corner, any special preparations for the mega-event?

A: I have to be better prepared this year as a host of top events are lined up. We have the Asian Games, the Commonwealth Championships, the World Championships and the World Cups, so I have to be geared up for that.

Q: Despite having a bagful of World Cup medals, you are still looking for a World Championship gold…

A: Yes, that is high on my priority as it is comparable to an Olympic gold. I also don't have the Olympic gold (laughs). In 2004, I was the youngest shooter of the lot, in 2008 I missed an Olympic medal by a point. Hopefully, in London 2012, the Indian contingent will return with more than one gold.

Q: Will there be pressure on Indian shooters during the Commonwealth Games?

A: Indians have been dominating the sport for quite sometime. But this time around the pressure will be on us, because from what I know, top shooters from across the Commonwealth are putting in a lot of effort to break India's dominance.

Q: You have decided to take the plunge back into academics by enrolling for a two-year MBA course at the Manav Rachna International University near Faridabad?

A: I lost out on academics because of my shooting. An MBA from Manav Rachna will help me plan an alternate career when I hang up my boots. But that is not going to happen soon.

No comments:

 


back to top