Friday, January 8, 2010

Cycling: McCauley, Holt aid their claims for Games spots

Gordon McCauley and Melissa Holt staked their claims for inclusion in the Commonwealth Games when they upset more fancied rivals to win the time trial at the national road cycling championships in Christchurch yesterday.

McCauley (Auckland) added a third men's time trial title to his five national road race wins, while Holt (Cambridge) made it three national time trial titles in a row on a flat but windy course at Lincoln University.

McCauley qualified as the final rider, which he said gave him the edge, and produced a superb 50m 10s for the 40km distance.

The time, the fastest recorded for a national time trial championship, saw him finish nearly a minute clear of 2007 champion Jeremy Vennell (Hawkes Bay) with Olympic pursuit medallist Marc Ryan (Timaru) third.

"I'm pretty stoked with that. While I am defending the road race title on Sunday, for me the nationals was all about the time trial," McCauley said.

"Time trialling is my strength and this flat course suited me. I have put my hand up for the Commonwealth Games with the course in New Delhi also flat."

McCauley, who won a bronze medal at the Melbourne Commonwealth Games, said he believed he was capable of a second medal.

"I prepared really well. I've been training on the course and had a really good performance."

He is not confident of repeating his success in tomorrow's road championships. "The course is much tougher and today was my focus. My aim on Sunday will be to ride for my teammates."

Holt, the former Europe-based professional, has been mixing cycling with triathlon in recent years, competing in the Ironman World Championships in Hawaii last year.

She was impressive yesterday in recording 35m 51s over 25km to finish 40s clear of world individual pursuit champion Alison Shanks, with world time trial bronze medallist Linda Villumsen third.

Holt said the win was her best.

"It was the best of the three wins because of the calibre of the riders that was here," she said. "I've been riding well and it's nice to know that if you do the hard work, it pays off."

The Athens Olympian is hopeful her performance will give her a real shot at selection for New Delhi.

Holt said her involvement in Ironman racing has been a real benefit for her performance in time trials.

"After all that is what the Ironman is on the bike - it's an individual time trial. The other thing is that the cross training with the swimming and running keeps me fresh.

"I will be racing in Ironman New Zealand again in March and I think if I can take my fitness levels from there and add the cycling intensity it will be a great way to prepare for the Commonwealth Games if I am selected."

She is not so confident she can make it a triple double in tomorrow's road race after winning both titles in 2008 and 2009.

"It's going to be a real race of attrition. I will hang in there as long as possible and then we will see what the options are on that last lap."

Earlier Christchurch teenager Michael Vink, riding for the Subway Avanti team, took out the under-23 title, clocking 50m 14s for 40km, the second fastest time overall for the day. He finished ahead of Beijing Olympians Wesley Gough and Jesse Sergent.

No comments:

 


back to top