Wednesday, January 20, 2010

It’s a family affair for promising star Smith

IT’S official, the north west is buzzing at the prospect of Paul Smith and Tony Dodson squaring off for the British super-middleweight crown, writes Martin Dobbing.

The whole British boxing community awaits with baited breath, but funnily enough, if you ask most knowledgeable pundits, the most talented man on the bill will not be appearing in the main event.

Stephen Smith, younger brother of British champ Paul, and the 2006 Commonwealth Games gold medallist ( he also won the European Championship bronze medal the same year) is gaining such plaudits for his performances, that many believe he could and should win a world title.

Coming from a fighting family it was no real surprise that the 24-year-old featherweight laced on the gloves many years ago.

Smith says: “We lived just across the road from the Rotunda ABC in Liverpool.

“One day my older brother Paul went in with his mates and started. I just followed on and my younger brothers likewise.

“My dad has always followed boxing, though – there isn't much that he doesn't know about the sport and that had an influence, too.”

Success followed success for the youngster. He won two ABA titles at feather, beating Akaash Bhatia in 2005-2006 and outpointing Samieri Mounieme a year later.

He won the Commonwealth Games gold medal in Melbourne, the same year winning a bronze medal at the European championships in Plovdiv, Bulgaria.

The youngster only lost out to amateur legend Albert Selimov in the semi-final, nothing to be ashamed of.

“Every title I won was special but the the first time I won a national title was extra special,” says Smith. “It gave me a feeling of recognition that I was the best.

“My greatest memory was winning the Commonwealth Games gold in Melbourne. It was an amazing place and an amazing trip anyway. The experience itself was invaluable but winning the gold just topped it off.

“As for the best names, Albert Selimov from Russia was brilliant, lovely loose southpaw style, he was World and European champion.

“Alexei Tischenko, the double Olympic champion was another great name I fought for obvious reasons.

“I fought him at a Multi-Nations in Helsinki. I remember having a good first round – they were pressing the button for fun with him just winning the Olympic title in Athens.”

However, there is no doubt about who Smith regards as his greatest opponent.

“For me the best lad I ever shared a ring with is Frankie Gavin,” he says. “I fought him twice and lost 5-4 and 7-4.

“No-one else came close – he was so hard to hit and had everything. I believe he will go all the way.”

In June 2008 Smith started his pro career, stopping Shaun Walton in three rounds. He signed up with the country's largest promoter, Frank Warren – a wise decision according to the youngster.

“It was an easy choice, really. I believe there is no other promoter who can match him. He is the best promoter in the UK,” he says.

Smith has gone on to win nine straight bouts, five inside the distance. Though many youngsters struggle to adapt to the pro ranks, Smith believes his style will help him get to the top.

Obviously Stephen has created a great name for himself, but he would always get a lot more publicity due to his famous brother.

A lot of fighters struggle with that pressure – Matthew Hatton has only just started coming into his own after seven years as a professional fighter.

This however, has not affected “Swifty”.

“Having Paul as a big brother I believe helped me earlier in my career as he sort of let me know what was ahead,” Smith says.

“Even now I don't see it as pressure, but for my youngest brother Callum, having three brothers, all ABA champs and all doing well as pros, I do believe he has a lot more pressure unfortunately.”

Finally the conversation had to get around to his older brother Paul's clash with cross-city rival Dodson. With the war of words heating up between the pair, the question arose, How does the younger sibling feel the fight is going to go?

“I have never had a problem with Tony until recently really,” he replies. “I just think he is a bit deluded when he goes around slagging Paul off for losing to Steve Bendall when he lost to Davytan, who had never won a fight!”

Smith adds: “He isn't able to take the shots, in my opinion. He will be fit and up for the fight and meet Paul head on – and Paul will knock him out.”

No comments:

 


back to top