Tuesday, February 23, 2010

No credible security threat to sports in India: Government

The Government of India on Monday said there was no credible threat to any sporting event in the country this year, including the XIX Commonwealth Games, and that it was taking maximum precaution to ensure foolproof security.

“At the moment, there are no credible threats to any of the sporting events in India, Union Home Secretary Mr. G K Pillai told reporters. “But, we are taking all precautions and we will continue to take maximum precautions in the coming months. All players, officials and spectators are safe in India.”

Mr. Pillai ruled out the possibility of outsourcing the Commonwealth Games security, saying India was capable of providing a safe and secure environment for the Games. “Every visitor including participants, organisers and their family members will be provided full security,” he said. “India has organised big sporting events in the past and we have been able to provide good security successfully.”

Dismissing reports of security concerns raised international media over reports quoting Harkat-ul-Jihad al-Islami (HuJI) commander Ilyas Kashmiri's warning to sportspersons. Mr. Pillai said it was being done deliberately as there were elements who wanted to scare people.

The Home Secretary also termed as completely "false" reports that claimed that the security plan of the Commonwealth Games had been leaked. “The report is completely false. Plans are being reviewed from time to time. Operational issues are top secret. There is no question of leak of any report,” he said.

No comments:


back to top