Sunday, February 14, 2010

Rodger retains women’s shot put title

A year ago, Alison Rodger was contemplating retirement from athletics, writes Doug Gillon.

Now, following the successful retention of the women’s shot-put title at the UK Championships, she has realistic hopes of Commonwealth Games and European Championship selection.

The Kilbarchan thrower, who won with 16.02 metres, was one of just two Scottish medallists over the two-day World Championship trials in Sheffield, and though Shettle­ston pole vaulter Alasdair Strange equalled his national record yesterday, no Scot has qualified for the team which will be named a week today. Performances up to midnight next Sunday can be considered.

“I was going to quit the sport until I won last year,” said Rodger. Now she has changed coaches, working with former UK champion Mark Procter after a move to Loughborough where she shares a flat with three-times Scottish discus champion Kirsty Law.

“I’ve had a chest infection all week, and when I took six throws on Wednesday I almost collapsed,” said Rodger. 
“Winning here meant a lot, but I was over 17.00 metres in warm-up, so 16.02 was not what I was looking for. I’m disappointed I didn’t hold it together. I’m working on relaxation technique for when I compete. I need 16.50 outdoors to go to Delhi [Commonwealths] and 17.00 for Barcelona [Euro­peans]. I can do that when I stay relaxed.”

School dinner lady Henriett Paxton served up the mouth-watering prospect of a world-class Scottish pole vaulter after taking silver with 4.21m before failing narrowly at 4.32 which would have eclipsed her own Scottish best.

Vaulting for less than three years, Paxton is invited to the Birmingham Grand Prix next Saturday. “The world indoor qualifying is 4.40, and that’s not out of sight,” she said.

“I was well clear when I set the Scottish record at 4.31, but I’m not chasing that. If it happens, it’s a massive bonus. Outdoors is where I’m aiming, and I know 4.40 will happen then.”

Chris Baillie seemed in shape to defend his 60m hurdles title. He was in contention for gold until his right calf cramped and he finished fifth (7.83).

“I have a place in Birmingham,” said the Commonwealth silver medallist, “but unless I get the calf sorted, I’m not going to get the world qualifying (7.65), so I may be better concentrating on the summer.”

No comments:

 


back to top