Thursday, February 11, 2010

Vijender tired of bronze, eyes gold at CWG 2010

Frustrated by winning bronze at the international level off late, Olympian Vijender Singh today said he is now aiming to lay his hands on the ellusive gold at the Commonwealth Games, to be held here this October.

Vijender, who had to settle for a silver after losing the final to China's Zhang Jin Tingat at the Champions of Champions event last week, further stressed that he was frustrated by winning bronze in international tournaments and will now eye gold in upcoming events including the Commonwealth Boxing Championships, Commonwealth Games and the Asian Games.

''I am really tired of winning bronze now. I want to give up the bronze medal even if I win it in the coming times. In the year 2010, I want only gold medals and for that I am preparing myself well,'' Vijender told UNI over telephone from Patiala.

Vijender, who has been gearing up for the selection trials for the Commonwealth Boxing Championships starting on March 12, also said as the event is happening in India, the pressure will be on him to excel.

''The big event is happening this time in India and I am 101 per cent sure that all eyes will be on me and I will have to perform at my best.

''The pressure will also be high on me. I am training well for the trials on Saturday and Sunday here,'' he said.

The Olympic bronze medallist, who jumped to the number one spot in the AIBA rankings for the first time in September last year, retained the top spot in the latest list which was released on February 8 with 2513 points, followed by Emilio Correa (2300 pts) of Cuba, who had beaten Vijender in the semi-finals at Beijing.

Uzbek Abbos Atoev (1875 pts), to whom Vijender lost in the World Championship semifinals last year, stands at third place.

''I am feeling good, better after I came to know about the rankings. Obviously, there is nothing better than the top spot.

''I want to maintain it and stay at the top for a long time, may be till the 2016 Olympics,'' he asserted. At the Commonwealth Boxing Championships and Commonwealth Games (CWG) 2010, Vijender will be up against pugilists from England, South Africa, Pakistan to name a few, and mentioned the Englishmen as the top contenders in the events. ''I believe the boxers from England will be tough opponents.

Even teams like Pakistan, Australia, Canada would be strong enough,'' stated Vijender, who also said Bongani Mwelase of South Aarica who defeated him at the finals of the 2006 CWG would be also hard nut to crack.

On the Indian challenge at CWG, he felt that the national pugilists - Asian gold medalist and Presidents Cup best boxer Suranjoy Singh, World Youth Championship gold medalist Thokchom Nanao Singh, Akhil Kumar and Dinesh Kumar among others - are in fantastic form and can give a tough fight to their rivals. ''I hope all the Indians to perform well and bring laurels to the country. But my pick would be Suranjoy, Nanao and Dinesh who I believe can make a mark at the event,'' he stated. Vijender, who was sidelined due to an injury after the World Championships at Milan, said he was doing fine now and wants to maintain his fitness till the end of the year and achieve more glory for the country.

No comments:

 


back to top