Thursday, March 25, 2010

Caitlin’s studied approach to Delhi bid

Caitlin McClatchey admits next week’s British Swimming Championships in Sheffield is not her sole priority right now.

Despite the carrot of earning a spot at October’s Commonwealth Games in Delhi – McClatchey is also juggling a 12,000-word dissertation for her Politics and Social Psychology degree at Loughborough University.

At the 2006 Common-wealth Games in Melbourne – McClatchey earned double gold in the 200m and 400m, but the Scot revealed studying had been affecting her preparations.

“I have got a lot on because I am doing my university dissertation as well as trying to fit in all my training,” said McClatchey.

“I am trying to do as many sessions as I can ahead of the Champion-ships but my training has suffered. I am still doing a lot of hard work, but my coach is maybe letting me off one session a week.

“I am confident I can still go there and swim well despite all the work I have been doing because I have been doing some good sessions so, hopefully, I can go to Sheffield and perform.”

Despite being selected for February’s GB v Germany Swim Meet in Swansea – McClatchey, who carried the British flag at the event, was forced to withdraw with a bout of sinusitis.

In the aftermath of landing double Melbourne gold – McClatchey, who will swim in the 100m, 200m and 400m at Ponds Forge, has watched on in frustration as the likes of Jo Jackson and Rebecca Adlington have hogged the headlines.

But McClatchey, who can also qualify for Delhi at the Scottish National Championships later this year, is keen to put down a marker against Britain’s best.

No comments:

 


back to top