Tuesday, March 16, 2010

England confirms Comm Games attendance

England has confirmed it will be sending a team to the Commonwealth Games in New Delhi later this year despite fears over security in the Indian capital.

Chef de mission Craig Hunter says a five-man delegation inspected the city during a nine-day trip, after concerns security issues would force the country to fail to send a team to the 80-year-old event for the first time.

Hunter says he came away from the Indian capital feeling greatly reassured as great progress has been made since his last visit in October 2009.

"England will categorically be sending a team to the Commonwealth Games," Hunter said.

"There's no doubt that there are lots of athletes who see Delhi as a vital developmental stepping stone towards the 2012 Olympics in London, and they are very keen to be in the team."

Safety concerns and lax security were cited last year when England's badminton team pulled out of the world championships in Hyderabad, India.

However, England plans to take a team of 560 for the October 3-14 showpiece, which is set to be the biggest multiple-sport event staged in India since the 1982 Asian Games.

No comments:


back to top