Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Burmester earns right to defend 200m butterfly gold at Delhi 2010

Commonwealth Games 2006 Melbourne gold medallist Moss Burmester (New Zealand) will be in Delhi to defend his 200m butterfly title, after going half a second under the qualifying time at the National Swimming Championship at the West Wave Aquatic Centre in Waitakere on Monday.

Burmester turned at the 100m in 55.60 and won in 1:57.43, half a second inside the qualifying mark, according to reports in New Zealand media. He was one of three to qualify on the opening night of the championship that is double up as Commonwealth Games trials, with qualifying times only able to be set in the finals.

The America-based Lauren Boyle has qualified for her second Commonwealth Games after winning the women's 200m freestyle while 20-year-old Natalie Wiegersma became the first Southland swimmer in 20 years to qualify when she broke her own New Zealand record in the 200m individual medley.

“There was a fair bit of pressure I guess and for me it was about getting the job done and getting that qualifying time,” Burmester told reporters. “I am still getting used to competing without the suit. My training times have been pretty similar but I am used to putting on the suit and stepping up probably mentally as much as physically. I am now getting used to racing without it.

“I dropped off a bit coming home. I took a breath about five metres out so I will get a bit of a bollocking from my coach about that. It's pleasing and a relief to get the qualifying time. There's a lot of hard work to go. I always want to go better than I have done before so I want to go to Delhi and defend the gold,” Burmester said.

No comments:

 


back to top