Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Hooker to lead Aus athletes at 2010 Games

Athletics Australia has named a 69-strong squad for the Commonwealth Games 2010 Delhi after the three-day Australian Athletics Championships and Commonwealth Games selection trials in Perth, according to information reaching here.

National pole vault champion and athletics team captain Steve Hooker (pole vault) will lead a squad that features a mix of youth and experience — Liz Parnov (pole vault) at 15 years of age is the youngest athlete nominated and track veteran Patrick Johnson (4x100m relay) the oldest at 37.

John Steffensen (400m and 4x400m relay) is another big name who will defend his 2006 titles in Delhi. Fabrice Lapierre, Chris Noffke and Mitchell Watt were all named in the men’s long jump.

A team of up to 90 athletes is expected to be named to the final squad, to be announced following the close of the qualifying period on August 15, Athletics Australia said.

“God, I can’t even describe it, I’m just so overwhelmed and happy and grateful to my family and my coach,” Liz Parnov, 15-year-old daughter of Russian pole vault guru Alex Parnov, said. “I have my bad days, she (Vicky) has her bad days but in the end we’re still sisters,” she said.

“Knowing Vic could do it, it really made me realise I had a chance and especially with my training group, I have Steve Hooker, Alana (Boyd), Amanda (Bisk), all of these amazing pole vaulters,” she added. “To have jumped what I have jumped and to make it is pretty cool.... But I don’t really think about how old I am, I’m just like everyone else, trying to do my best.”

Australian Commonwealth Games Association Chief Executive Perry Crosswhite said the Games were a great place for Australian athletes to “learn to win”.

“The Commonwealth Games gives them that opportunity (to win) then they go on (to win elsewhere). That’s what happened with Steve Hooker who won at the Commonwealth Games, then went on to win the Olympics and world championships.”

Crosswhite added that the ACGA has planned to take a team of about 425 athletes — its biggest squad ever sent to an overseas Games. Australia collected 16 gold, 12 silver and 13 bronze medals in the 2006 edition of the Games in Melbourne.

No comments:

 


back to top