Saturday, April 24, 2010

Uttar Pradesh cops collect Rs.92,000 for Commonwealth shooter

A budding Uttar Pradesh shooter struggling to buy a pistol to take part in the qualifying round of the Commonwealth Games has got a helping hand from Baghpat district police who have presented him Rs.92,000 collected as donations.

Farooq Ali, 20, a truck driver's son from Angadpur village in Baghpat, some 350 km from Lucknow, now feels he will be able to chase his dream of winning medals in shooting competitions at the national and international levels.

"Now I will not have to hire guns from others... I will have one of my own soon. I will really remain indebted to the policemen who raised money to help me," Ali told IANS on telephone from Baghpat.

"I am really happy because I will be able to participate in the qualifying round of the Commonwealth Games in Delhi," he added.

Ali, who comes from a poor family, has won over 50 medals in national and international tournaments. He won silver medals in 2009 at the Asian Air Gun Championship, Doha, and the Hungary Open Championship.

"I wrote to the authorities, government officials, public representatives, seeking financial assistance but to no avail," said Ali.

However, through some local journalists, Baghpat Superintendent of Police Deepak Kumar came to know about Ali's problems and decided to help him.

"After talking to my colleagues, it was decided the district police would contribute funds for the budding shooter. We will also rope in some local businessmen and industrialists," Kumar told IANS over telephone.

"We received a good response from businessmen and industrialists who helped us generate Rs.92,000. The money was presented to Ali only two days ago," he added.

No comments:

 


back to top