Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Amir Khan’s brother changes allegiance for Commonwealth Games

The teenage brother of Amir Khan is set to box for Pakistan at the Commonwealth Games this year, but says he would not box for any country other than Great Britain at the 2012 Olympics.

Haroon Khan was a 14-year-old waving the Union Jack in the crowd when Amir boxed his way to a lightweight silver medal at the Athens Games in 2004. But the 19-year-old bantamweight has given up hope of following his older brother by boxing for Britain at an Olympic Games.

Amir, who defends his WBA light-welterweight title against Paulie Malignaggi here on Saturday, rejected approaches from Pakistan and the United States before he became the only British boxer to qualify for the 2004 Games.

Despite making his senior England debut last year, Haroon has not been selected for the Britain podium squad or the development squad. So he has accepted an approach by Pakistan, where his parents were born, to represent them at the Commonwealth Games in Delhi in October.

“I really wanted to box for Britain at the Olympics ever since Amir won silver in Athens,” Haroon, a junior ABA champion, said. “I looked at what he did and dreamed of going one better. But I’ve never had a look-in with the senior England squad, not even a letter.

“What used to happen was they would call me up a week before an international and ask if I could box, but I knew it was only because someone had pulled out and they never really wanted me. I’ve spoken to a lot of English boxers and they said if they were me, they would go for it.

“When I went over to Pakistan, they were offering me a house and a car and a driver, if I wanted to stay there. But whatever happens, I couldn’t see myself fighting for Pakistan at the 2012 Olympics in London. That just wouldn’t feel right. If all goes well, I will turn pro after the Commonwealth Games.”

No comments:

 


back to top