Tuesday, June 15, 2010

THREE young volunteers have been picked to represent West Dunbartonshire and Scotland in the Commonwealth Games hand-over ceremony in India.

Jennifer Davidson, 18, Ross MacPherson, 19 and Laura Young, 25, all from Alexandria, will travel to New Dehli in October to take part in the special ceremony, which will take place in the 75,000-seater Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium on the last day of the 2010 games.

The poignant event marks the official handover from India to Glasgow - the host city for the games in 2014.

The three youngsters, who have all carried out significant voluntary work in the area, were selected to join other young ambassadors from all over Scotland.

A delighted Jennifer was selected when judges saw her fantastic work as a children's gymnastics coach in West Dunbartonshire.

Jennifer said: "To be involved in the ceremony fills me with a real sense of pride as I am representing West Dunbartonshire in this huge event.

"This is a great personal achievement and something I am sure will stay with me for life and I feel that it will benefit me in terms of life experience - I also feel that with my background in dance, I will really relish this experience as I absolutely love to perform."

An equally thrilled Ross has carried out 700 hours of volunteering with The Tullochan Trust, CHAS and Autism Scotland.

The former Vale of Leven Academy head boy said: "It means a lot for me to be chosen as an Ambassador as it's a part of Scottish history and to be a part of the Commonwealth Games Flag Handover in New Dehli is a great honour.

"It's also a great opportunity for West Dunbartonshire to show that not all people my age are bad people.

"This is a great example to the young people I work with, to see that they can achieve all they want in life."

Laura works for West Dunbartonshire Council's (WDC) Sports Development Unit and has helped support and promote dance for youngsters through voluntary work in the area.

Laura said: "Having lived in West Dunbartonshire for 25 years, I absolutely love this opportunity to represent the area in such an exciting and important role.

"Having been involved in volunteering in sport and dance for the last ten years, travelling to Delhi for the Commonwealth Games is a once in a lifetime opportunity and it will be great to not only experience the Commonwealth Games first hand but to experience such a different culture and lifestyle, as well as raising the profile of both West Dunbartonshire and Scotland."

No comments:

 


back to top