Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Bits of Delhi on canvas

In a precursor to Commonwealth Games (CWG) being hosted by Delhi in October, artist Anjanna Kuthiala has initiated an attempt. As a tribute to the Capital on canvas, well-known personalities – Shiela Dikshit, Madhur Bhandarkar, Tanisha Mohan and Ruchii Rai have painted large canvases. Kuthiala has
done a six-feet large canvas that portrays the essence and spirit of this city, aspiring to be a ‘world-class’ metropolis.

“The greatest tribute I can pay to Delhi is a peaceful and harmonious city, a world-class infrastructure that represents the ethos and soul of India,” says Chief Minister Shiela Dikshit.

The initiative is also working for a Clean Delhi Drive ahead of CWG and it has a specific mention in Kuthiala’s work. “My canvas has bits and pieces from all around this large city.

It shows Pragati Maidan, Bangla Sahib Gurudwara, India Gate, Chandi Chowk, the Yamuna river and many more such things. Most are symbolic than straight figures and that is the unique part about this work.”

Kuthiala also feels that a lot of negativity has spread around the Games and we should instead look at the positive side. “When I was in my teens, the Asian Games took place and Pragati Maidan was build, which is now a very important part of Delhi. I believe even the CWG will bring lots of such land marks to Delhi.”

Another contributor to the initiative is filmmaker Madhur Bhandarkar. He has women as the focus. “I have shown Delhi through the eyes of a woman. Like my films where women are always the central characters, in my painting too, I have tried to present a woman’s perspective,” says Bhandarkar. The paintings will be unveiled tomorrow at Hotel Le Meridien at 7 pm by Shiela Dikshit.

No comments:

 


back to top