Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Gagan Narang to participate in Commonwealth Games

India’s ace rifle shooter Gagan Narang said Tuesday that he would participate in the Commonwealth Games here from Oct 3-14.

Earlier this month Narang, who was overlooked for the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna for the third consecutive time, felt he was demotivated and didn’t want to take part in the Games.

But Narang, who won the bronze at the World Championship in Munich, said that the overwhelming response from well-wishers, family and the shooting fraternity has moved him.

‘I have made up my mind to shoot in the coming Commonwealth Games. There is no short of motivation when you see so many people support you and they want you to succeed. Doesn’t matter now if I did not get the award. It is a story of the past for me. I shall start training for the games shortly,’ Gagan said in a statement issued by indianshooting.com.

‘I was on a break after coming back from Munich, in this period I consulted my family, my coaches and the federation for my future course of actions. The only answer I got from all of them was shoot to prove a point. Although my achievements of the last four years have been ignored, I have decided to just keep doing my job from now on, which is to win medals and glory for India,’ he said.

‘I feel winning a medal for my county is even bigger than any award. If the government feels I deserve any award in future I will get it but from now on I would never expect it or will even talk about it,’ Gagan said.

No comments:

 


back to top