Sunday, August 22, 2010

It's a dream come true: Nirupama

She has not been at the biggies for six long years but Nirupama Vaidyanathan, 33, has just walked into the Indian tennis team for the Commonwealth Games.

If you're surprised, even shocked, that this is happening in ‘Sania land', you must hear the story of this strong woman, the former Indian No. 1 who has just returned from the US.

For life had been one long, rough road for Nirupama — now Nirupama Sanjeev after her marriage — and the hard lessons which have strengthened her mentally will come in very handy on her comeback road to big tennis and to India.

Nirupama, former World No. 139, has not lost any of her charm. She believes that she still has the power and the guile to upset even a top player on her best day.

Great to be back

“It feels really great to be back, playing for my country. It's a dream come true for me. I am hitting the ball much harder. And, I can tell you for sure that my game has certainly not gone down,” said Nirupama, the first Indian woman to figure in a Grand Slam (Australian Open 1999) in the open era.

How did she manage her comeback? What motivated her? “I did not really plan a comeback because I had a rough pregnancy,” said Nirupama, about the hard time she had about four years ago.

“I was one of the high-risk patients, but if I have come back from all that and if I am going to play for India then it shows how tough I am mentally.

“My big aim was to hit the top 100 bracket, which I could never do. I was 139 when I left tennis. But, I would still call it an achievement because I was able to do that with minimum resources and under tough conditions,” said Nirupama, who landed in Coimbatore, her home city, from the national camp on Saturday.

Balancing act

She now has to do a fine balancing act, to spend hours on court and with her little daughter Sahana.

“I am not overdoing it while practising. I want to keep myself injury-free at the moment. I don't want to push to the maximum but will use my experience and play the game accordingly,” said Nirupama, who is also the Head Pro of the Konkai Swim and Racquet Club in the US.

“I am confident about my tennis. I am much fitter now and my mental toughness is equally solid.

“I really do not know what the selectors have for me, but I am prepared for the task.”

Not for pro Tour

But Nirupama, who runs an academy in the US and played in a local tournament there last year, is clear about one thing. “I don't want to go back on the pro Tour because my family life is more important to me. I am part of the camp for the Commonwealth Games and may even play the Asian Games.”

She has plans for talented Indian girls. “I would like to help women's tennis in India. All the players in the camp are really good.”

Having a senior is also a good thing for the other girls at the national camp.

“I am not old, I guess. I am just trying to be one of them. We are all working pretty hard,” said Nirupama

One just hopes, the Commonwealth Games opens a new chapter in Nirupama's life.

No comments:

 


back to top