Monday, August 2, 2010

Windsor's Muscat heads to Commonwealth Games

The task was simple for the Windsor Legion’s Megan Muscat.

A win in the women’s T37 100 metres would make her eligible for Canada’s Commonwealth Games team.

Seeded second in the event, the 25-year-old Muscat won the race in 15.74 to edge out longtime rival Leah Robinson by 11/100ths of a second. The Legion’s Virginia Mclachlan earned the bronze in 17.09

“It was a shock to a lot of people,” Muscat said. “I haven’t beaten her since late 2007 or early 2008.”

Muscat’s name was put forward to Athletics Canada for the Commonwealth Games team, along Legion teammate and decathlon champion Jamie Adjetey-Nelson, after Saturday’s completion of the Canadian senior track and field championships in Toronto. The full team will be announced this week.

“It was a seasonal best for me in the 200,” Muscat said of a silver medal won Friday. “It was a personal best in the 100 and I regained my Canadian title.

“It was a little bit shocking, but I knew I could do it.”

While Muscat achieved her dream, a few other area athletes came up short in their bid to go to the Commonwealth Games.

Sudbury native Andrew Ellerton, whose family now calls Windsor home, won the men’s 800 metres in 1:50.83, but fell short of the Commonwealth Games qualifying standard of 1:46.46.

“I wasn’t going to try and take it out and make standard,” said the 26-year-old Ellerton, who is known more for his strong finishing kick. “I don’t run well from the front and I’ve tried it before and it hasn’t gone well. I wanted to make sure I was first.”

Back after missing 16 months with a stress fracture, Ellerton’s main goal wasn’t the Commonwealth Games.

“It would have been great, but this way it doesn’t impact my training,” he said. “My goal is still world (championships in 2011) and (the Olympics in) 2012.”

The Legion’s Derek Watkins was eyeing one last chance for a Commonwealth Games spot. He needed to clear 2.25 metres in the men’s high jump, but had to settle for a silver medal after clearing 2.16 metres.

“I was looking for standard, but I think I might have put a little too much pressure on myself,” the 29-year-old Watkins said. “This season has been my best, no question.

“Now, hopefully, I can get to Pan Am’s next year and then (the Olympics in) 2012.”

Melissa Bishop had the area’s other medal as the University of Windsor student took bronze in the women’s 800 metres in 2:04.12.

The Legion’s Jonathan Reid looked to have won the men’s 400 metres, but was disqualified for running on the lane line.

Windsor’s Noelle Montcalm was fifth in the women’s 100-metre hurdles in 13.64 while incoming Lancer Andy Ysebaert was fifth in the men’s shot put with a throw of 16.33 metres.

The Legion’s Dayna Maaten cleared 3.90 metres to finish sixth in women’s pole vault, Mitchell Tome was eighth in the men’s 800 metres in 1:56.21 and Danielle Harrison was 16th in the women’s 100 metres in 12.44.

No comments:

 


back to top