Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Loughborough University swimmer Joe Roebuck breaks British records

JOE ROEBUCK has vowed to dominate the long-course circuit next year after jetting home with two British records but no medals from the European Short Course Championships in Istanbul.

After finishing sixth in the 200m medley on the opening day, the Loughborough University student battled against a ripped swimsuit to lower the national 400m medley record to 4min 1.73sec on the way to fourth a day later.

The 24-year-old bagged his second consecutive fourth-place finish when he clocked 1.51.27 in the 200m butterfly, breaking James Hickman's 11-year-old mark in the process.

After twice going within touching distance of the podium, Roebuck is desperate to make the step up at next year's Commonwealth Games.

He said: "I finished with another personal best and another British record and I was just outside the medals again.
"But I've had three events and I've made three finals and, if it wasn't for the swimsuit ripping, I'd have had a medal.

"I'm convinced I would have got silver at least, but that's something I can make amends for next year. I want to go to the Commonwealth Games and I want to win the 400m medley.

"I want to take this form into the long-course season and I want to make myself a force to be reckoned with there."

Fellow Loughborough student Rachel Lefley is aiming to join Roebuck on the plane to India after setting four lifetime bests on her GB debut in Turkey.

The 19-year-old clocked 27.82sec in the 50m backstroke before swimming 27.74sec when leading off the women's 4x50m medley relay team.

Lefley also took a chunk out of her 100m backstroke mark during the heats before repeating the feat in her unsuccessful bid for a final spot, clocking 59.33sec.

Lefley said: "There is going to be a lot of competition for the Commonwealth Games but I'll be giving it everything to get there. Hopefully the experience of Istanbul will stand me in good stead."

Craig Gibbons signed off from Turkey by helping Team British Gas set a British record en-route to sixth in the 4x50m freestyle final.

Gibbons joined Matt Clay, Charles Turner and Ian Hulme to clock 1.25.41 in the final won by France.

British Gas and British Swimming. The nation's leading energy supplier, British Gas, is the Principal Partner of British Swimming, supporting the sport at all levels: 'From paddling pool to podium'.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks a lot for a bunch of good tips. I look forward to reading more on the topic in the future. Keep up the good work! This blog is going to be great resource. Love reading it.
................................
writing a term paper-Term Paper Sample

 


back to top