Sunday, February 7, 2010

Indian Open winner Deep Chand vows a podium finish at CWG 2010

Tired but happy after winning the Mawana Sugars Indian Open marathon, Army runner Deep Chand today exuded confidence that he will clinch a podium finish at the 2010 Commonwealth Games, to be held in the capital later this year.

''I am preparing hard for the Commonwealth Games. I am happy with our preparations and I am definitely going to run well and am confident of winning a medal.

''I cannot say whether the medal will be a gold, silver, or a bronze. But I promise you that I will definitely win a medal,'' Deep Chand told UNI.

''The Commonwealth Games marathon will be run on this route so running here has given me a good feel of the course. The training has been going extremely well under the supervision of the army coaches. ''I will participate in some more events before the Commonwealth Games. The doctor
has advised me to rest for another 25 to 30 days.

I will start my training for the Commonwealth Games after that,'' he added.

Deep Chand, the winner in the Indian section of the Airtel Delhi Half Marathon last year, was however, not happy with his timing of 2hrs, 22mins and 33 secs.

''I am out of form as I was injured and could not train for a long time. I was also on leave for almost a month which resulted in a long gap in my training,'' he rued.

''The heat was too much which made it difficult to give a good timing. ''Santosh, a runner from Railways was with me till the third round but my coach warned me that he may overtake me and urged me to run faster. So I increased my speed but still I am not happy with my timing,'' he added.

Deepchand, who belongs to the Rajputana Rifles, informed that he felt exteremely proud after winning in front of the officers and soldiers of his regiment.

''Winning this event is a great feeling. My regiment is based here in Delhi. All the officers and jawans of my regiment are present here to cheer me on. I felt that I simply had to win for their sake. So winning this event has given me a lot of happiness and pride,'' he informed.

No comments:

 


back to top