Wednesday, September 22, 2010

No modelling career but Prachi has net gains

She could have sashayed on the ramp with designer clothes but Prachi Tehlan rejected all the modelling assignments that came her way and instead decided to run around on the wooden court wearing loose track pants while playing netball.

“People say I am good looking. It’s rather flattering. I say thank you but no thank you. No glamour business for me. I want to concentrate on academics and net ball. Right now, I want to concentrate on the Commonwealth Games,” she said. The chance to represent her country in the Commonwealth Games is something Prachi will not let pass for anything in the world. “I would love to play in front of the home crowd,” Prachi said.

The India women’s net ball captain could have become a basketball player but a torn ligament meant she couldn’t fulfil her prodigious talent. She turned to net ball after representing the India Under-19 basketball team when she was just 14 years old.

“When I walked into college one day, the director of sports asked me if I wanted to play netball. I was told that I was selected for the India camp. I had no idea what kind of sport it was and didn’t know the rules and regulations. It was a relief that there were others also who hadn’t heard of net ball,” Prachi added.

However, she has enjoyed playing the sport over the years. “I would say it is a feminine game. For me it was just about switching over from one ball game to another. I didn’t want to miss. I am happy that I took to net ball,” Prachi added. Her six-foot plus frame and her good looks have always made her popular. Prachi is quick to refer to her 500-plus friends on facebook.

“I remember signing my first autograph when I was in class IX. I was playing basketball in Kapurthala. I was mobbed after the game for autographs,” Prachi added.

She now wants to pursue her MBA and is confident that she will get admission in a top university in Canada because of her pedigree in netball. “Canada is one of the top countries in netball so I am sure I will get through,” Prachi said.

Net ball is not one of the marquee disciplines at the Commonwealth Games but Prachi is confident that there will be a good crowd to cheer the home team. “All my friends will be coming for sure. We have a feeling that we will also play in front of a packed house. There are some good looking girls playing, so we are sure to grab some attention,” Prachi added.

No comments:

 


back to top