Wednesday, March 10, 2010

2010 CWG will have no security problems: Boxer Amir

British boxer Amir Khan on Wednesday said that security concerns in the 2010 Commonwealth Games was the product of media hype and the mega event in India will be a huge success.

"I think this security scare is more media hype. I was in Pakistan for three days and everything was so chilled out, there was no problem. I am sure when India hosts the Commonwealth Games, the security will be tight," Amir said at the Laureus World Sports Awards.

"I think Commonwealth Games is the second most important event, the first being the Olympics. It is massive tournament I always wanted to participate in the Commonwealth Games," said Amir, who won a silver in the 2004 Athens Olympics.

Amir said the World Boxing Series was a brilliant concept and it would give the amateur boxers to show their potential.

"The amateur boxers would get a chance to have more fights against the best and prove who is the best among the amateurs," he said.

Asked if given a chance he would like to participate in the series, Amir said, "If I had a chance I would like to participate in the world series of boxing in India."

"After Athens Olympics, I decided to turn professional. Beijing Olympics was still four years to go then and I took this huge decision to turn professional as it gave me financial stability also and it had a massive affect on my career."

No comments:

 


back to top