Monday, September 27, 2010

Bindra: It’s going to be the best Games ever

India’s only Olympic gold medallist Abhinav Bindra on Monday flew down from Pune to join the Indian shooting squad for the Commonwealth Games, but did not check into the Games Village despite completing all formalities.

The icon of Indian shooting, however, made it clear that he was likely to stay at the Village from Tuesday. “I came to the Village to complete the formalities. Since I did not bring my guns, I am not staying at the Village tonight. I will straightaway join the practice at the Karni Singh range tomorrow (Tuesday),” said Bindra.

While sources in the shooting squad said that Bindra was made to wait for a long time by the Village authorities, the ace shooter said he was happy with the arrangements. “I did not face any problem while completing the formalities,” said Bindra.

The Chandigarh boy, who took Indian shooting to a new height in Beijing, will however, be without a personal coach for the Commonwealth Games. While German coach Gaby Buhlmann, who guided Bindra to Olympic gold, is not there, the other coach, Heinz Josef Reinkemeier too has not accompanied the shooter to India.

“Reinkemeier was supposed to come, but he couldn’t because of other commitments,” said Bindra, adding that he is confident of doing well in the Commonwealth Games.

“I am under no pressure. It is you people who remind me of all these things,” said Bindra. “I am mentally prepared to do well in front of my home crowd. It is going to be one of the best Games ever,” said the CWG brand ambassador.

No comments:

 


back to top